Sweet Treats For A Gluten Free Diet
Looking for some delicious gluten free sweet treats that are simple to make and will please the whole family? You’re in the right place!
We’ve put together our favourite sweet treats for a gluten free diet. These yummy treats not only taste good, most of them are pretty healthy too and are also suitable for vegetarians.
#1 Roast Whole Pineapple
Hot and sticky on the outside and sweet and juicy on the inside, whole roasted pineapple is a delicious, healthy treat for all the family. Roasting the pineapple softens the acidic edge and gives it a more caramelly, mellow flavour. Plus, Its super easy to make!
- 1 Whole Pineapple
- 100g Brown Sugar
- 50g Butter
Flavouring of your choice i.e Vanilla, chilli, lime.
- Heat oven to gas mark 4 180C, fan 160C.
- Mix together sugar and flavouring in a large roasting tin and roll Pineapple in the mixture, leaving it laying in the excess and dot the top with pieces of butter.
- Roast the pineapple for 30 minutes, basting every ten minutes.
- After 30 minutes remove from the oven and leave to cool slightly.
Bring the pineapple to the table whole and carve into wedges. Serve with yogurt, flavoured cream, fruit coulis or anything you fancy!
#2 Watermelon Pizza
This fun watermelon ‘pizza’ is a summery treat that children will love to make and eat! It looks impressive and tastes even better.
- 1 Watermelon Slice
- 120g Fruit (pineapple or berries are ideal)
- 50g Greek yoghurt or Ricotta Cheese
- 1-2 tsp Desiccated coconut
- 1 tbsp Honey
- Zest of half a lime
- Take 1 round watermelon slice, place on a board and top with yogurt or ricotta cheese and smooth out towards the edges.
- Scatter over the fruit and 1-2 tsp toasted coconut flakes.
- Drizzle with the honey and sprinkle of the lime zest.
To serve this this refreshing fruit dessert, cut into slices, just like a pizza! It is perfect on a hot day or anytime of year as a fun healthy treat.
#3 Gluten Free Brownies
Who can resist a gooey chocolate brownie? We certainly can’t! This easy brownie recipe is a real crowd pleaser.
- 175g plain gluten-free chocolate
- 50g Brazil nuts
- 140g butter, cut into pieces
- 4 large eggs
- 225g golden caster sugar
- 100g Gluten Free white self-raising flour
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 4, 180C, fan 160C. Then grease and line a rectangular tin with nonstick baking paper.
- Break 175g of the chocolate into pieces and put into a glass bowl over a pan of simmering water along with the butter. Gently stir the mixture, when melted, take the bowl off the pan and put aside.
- Whisk together the eggs and sugar in a large bowl until the mixture has increased in volume and is thick, pale, fluffy. Then gently fold in the cooled melted chocolate, before sifting in the flour and cocoa and gently folding again. Finally, roughly chop the brazil nuts and gently stir into the mixture.
- Pour the mixture into the lined tin and spread evenly. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until the middle is still a little gooey and the top is crusty.
Once out of the oven, leave them to cool a little in the tray, then finish them off by sprinkling over some cocoa powder. One bite of these yummy brownies and everyone will be asking for the recipe!
#4 Strawberry Sorbet
This sorbet contains just 4 ingredients! It’s super simple to make, super delicious and is gluten, vegan and dairy free.
- 2 Bananas
- 1 can coconut milk
- 200g Frozen strawberries
- 2-3 Tablespoons maple syrup
- Slice the banana into bite size chunks and add to a blender with the strawberries coconut milk and maple syrup. Blend until smooth, scraping down the sides of the blender as needed.
- Pour the mixture into an airtight, freezer-friendly container and place in the freezer. Leave to freeze for 4-6 hours, stirring once every hour for the first four hours. When stirring, make sure to scrape down the sides of the container. Stir for about a minute each time. Alternately, if you have an ice cream maker pour the mixture in and let it do all the work for you.
The sorbet will keep for up to 6 months in the freezer, before eating leave to thaw slightly for 15-20 minutes. It’s delicious served alone or with fresh fruit.
#5 Swizzels Gluten Free Sweets
At Swizzels we want everyone to enjoy our delicious sweets. Many of our classic Swizzels sweets are gluten free making them the ideal choice for people sticking to a special diet. In our online shop you’ll find a range of gluten free sweets, as well as gluten free sweet hampers that are filled with lots of yummy gluten free goodies. The hampers can be personalised and delivered straight to your door, making them an ideal gift!
For more gluten free sweets and delicious treats, head over to our shop to discover the full selection of Swizzels iconic sweets.